It was reported that more than 10,000 deaths due to Covid-19 were recorded in the week leading up to the celebration of the New Year in China according to the traditional lunar calendar.
According to the statement released by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 12,658 deaths from the virus were recorded on January 13-19.
It is reported that 59 thousand and 938 deaths due to the virus were seen between December 8, 2022 and January 12, 2023, after the removal of COVID-19 measures in the country. Thus, the number of confirmed deaths in the last epidemic wave rose to 72,596.
80% of the population is infected with the virus
CDC chief Fu Zunyou also stated on the social networking site Weibo that more than 80 percent of China’s 1.4 billion people have been infected in the period since the measures were lifted.
Fu pointed out that trips within the country during the Spring Festival holiday, which includes the celebration of the traditional Chinese New Year, may cause the virus to spread to different regions, and stated that they do not expect a new wave to appear in the next three to four months. The virus has already infected nearly 80 percent of the population.
The country has faced its biggest cluster spread yet, with the sudden lifting of Covid-19 measures at the start of last month. After the epidemic wave caused by the spread in big cities, those who visit their hometowns to celebrate the New Year in the Spring Festival are worried that the epidemic will spread to small and medium cities and rural settlements.
Airfinity, a London-based health data analysis and services company, indicated that the number of cases would rise again across the country in the two-week period covering before and after the New Year celebration, and the daily number of cases in both cases. – The week period from January 13 to 27 was 4, and it was estimated that the daily death toll could reach 8 million and the daily death toll reach 36,000.
2.1 billion trips expected in the Spring Festival
Since the beginning of the Covid-19 epidemic, many migrant workers and employees, who were unable to leave their cities due to quarantine measures, travel restrictions and bans imposed by institutions and companies, have had the opportunity to return to their hometowns this new year, with the measures removed.
In Chinese tradition, it is important for people to spend the Lunar New Year with their families. During the Spring Festival period, which includes the celebration of the New Year, millions of people travel within the country to visit their hometowns. Dubbed “chunyun”, the Spring Festival trekking is “the world’s largest exodus”.
The Department of Transport reported that 2.1 billion trips are expected during the 40-day holiday period, which runs from January 7 to February 15 this year.
- Balkans | Croatia and Japan will face each other in the round of 16.
- Balkans | Bulgarian Interior Minister Demirjev expects his country to be admitted to Schengen in the second half of 2023
- Balkans | Fears of provocation in Bosnia and Herzegovina on January 9
- Balkans | Germany calls for dialogue between Serbia and Kosovo
- Balkans | The member states of the World Health Organization have agreed to draft an international convention to combat epidemics
- Balkans | Another discount on fuel prices
- Balkans | Plenkovic: Milanovic is a complete Putin fan
- Balkans | Respect for the Holy Quran held in Sweden
- Balkans | Turkey Panic in the Greek Press: Damascus, Trench, Nautical Miles…
- Balkans | 486 Years of the Ottoman Legacy in Bosnia and Herzegovina: The Gazi Husrev Bey Madrasah