Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis indicated that the European Union could offer Turkey new economic support to combat the migrant problem.
In a press statement following the EU leaders’ summit held in Brussels and in response to journalists’ questions, Mikotakis said that the most important element in solving the problem of irregular migration is the fight against migrant smugglers.
Mitsotakis stated that the reason why fewer boats carrying illegal immigrants have arrived in Greece lately is the decrease in the number of boats departing from Turkey, and argued the need to cooperate with North African countries such as Tunisia and Libya to reduce the number. From boats departing from Türkiye.
Noting that he will meet President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Vilnius as part of the NATO summit, Mikotakis stated that they hope to put the framework of Turkey-EU relations on a new basis.
Mitsotakis stated that he would like to see the glass half full, and indicated that there had been better cooperation with the Turkish authorities in stopping boats carrying illegal immigrants before they set off.
Prime Minister Mitsotakis said: “I have said many times that Turkey should be an ally in the fight against the refugee problem. On the other hand, the European Union has provided millions of euros to support Turkey and can give more. It could be an additional element of future support for Turkey in restructuring the budget the European Union for many years. He said.
Noting that apart from his meeting with President Erdogan, there may be meetings between the ministers of Turkey and Greece, Mikotakis said, “There have been contacts in the past as well. It is good that these contacts are frequent. We can prove that Turkey is a really good ally in the fight.” With the problem of immigrants). Of course, if he wants to. He said.
- Balkans | Commemoration of the martyrs of Çanakkale in Skopje
- Balkans | The representative of the European Union at the Belgrade-Pristina Lajcak Dialogue met with the leaders of Kosovo
- Balkans | A firefighting crew was trapped in a blaze on the island of Rhodes
- Balkans | A search and rescue team of 20 people from Bulgaria went to Turkey
- Balkans | In France, the lowest birth rate in the past 30 years was announced in March
- Balkans | A march was organized in Kosovo against abuse of the disabled
- Balkans | Bulgaria is considering stopping grain imports to Ukraine.
- Balkans | Serbia wants plastic packaging boxes from Türkiye
- Balkans | 3 suspects, two of them FETO members, were arrested trying to cross into Greece
- Balkans | Greek Foreign Minister Dendias met with his Serbian counterpart Dacic