Several human rights organizations and the United Nations have claimed that Greece “did not take adequate rescue steps” in the disaster, while claiming that the death toll at the scene was around 800.
After one of the deadliest maritime disasters occurred in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Greece last week, 9 suspects appeared before a judge in Egypt, while 14 people were detained in Pakistan.
Nine Egyptian suspects, between the ages of 20 and 40, charged with manslaughter, exposing life-threatening injuries, causing shipwreck and human smuggling, have declared themselves innocent.
On the other hand, while many human rights organizations and the United Nations have claimed that Greece “did not take adequate rescue steps” in the disaster, they put the death toll at the scene at around 800.
The United Nations Human Rights Office said that up to 500 people are still missing, while the Pakistani police confirmed that the number of people on the boat could be as high as 800. In the disaster, the lifeless bodies of 80 migrants have been found so far.
The UN office also called for an investigation into Greece’s position on the disaster, amid claims that previous measures were needed to launch a large-scale bailout.
Mourning declared in Pakistan
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s office said in a statement that the Islamabad government has ordered a high-level investigation to investigate the people smuggling ring believed to be involved.
In the investigation that took place in this context, mourning was announced in the country, in which 14 people have been arrested so far.
It is noteworthy that one of the detainees confessed to sending three immigrants to the boat with a capacity of 300-350 people and receiving three million Pakistani rupees (about 10,500 dollars) from each of them.
“We learned from survivors, arrested suspects and bereaved families that the boat was carrying between 750 and 800 people,” a police officer told Reuters.
According to eyewitnesses, the number of passengers on the boat ranged from 400 to 750 people, while the Greek authorities announced that 104 people had survived and 78 bodies had been transported to the shore.
And claimed the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) that there are points that raise doubts in the statements of the Greek Coast Guard.
Greek officials state that the ship, which they had monitored for 15 hours, capsized in the early hours of June 14, about 25 minutes after its engine had stopped.
Analyzing the movements of other ships in the area, the BBC found that the overcrowded boat had not moved for at least seven hours before capsizing. However, the Greek Coast Guard claims that during these hours the boat was on its way to Italy and did not need rescue.
Greek officials say those on board did not call for help and said they were in no danger until just before their boat sank.
The ship is believed to have departed from the port city of Tobruk on 10 June. Greek government officials say most of those on board are from Egypt, Syria and Pakistan.
- Balkans | A thousand volunteers will be allocated to Al-Aqsa Mosque for a “seamless” Ramadan
- Balkans | NASA monitors lunar debris for the first “private sector” Japanese spacecraft
- Balkans | The countries of the Western Balkans welcomed the month of Ramadan with the first Tarawih prayers
- Balkans | Banning Bulgaria and Romania from Schengen membership undermines EU solidarity.
- Balkans | Kosovo declares tomorrow a day of mourning for Turkey
- Balkans | Major modernization project at Pristina Airport
- Balkans | Greek Foreign Minister Dendias called on the European Union to support Turkey
- Balkans | The activities of international relief teams continue in the earthquake zones
- Balkans | NATO Chiefs of Staff met
- Balkans | European Union countries agree on coordinated measures regarding passengers arriving from China