Candidates of Albanian political parties won local elections in four predominantly Serb municipalities in northern Kosovo.
According to preliminary results published by the Kosovo Central Election Commission (KQZ), the counting of votes has been completed. The “Decide Yourself” movement, led by Prime Minister Albin Kurti, won the municipalities of North Mitrovica and Liposavic, while the Democratic Party of Kosovo (PDK) won the municipalities of Zvecan and Zubin Potok.
Kosovo Prime Minister Corti thanked the KQZ for organizing the elections, the Kosovo Police for providing security and the citizens for their support.
Corti shared through his account on social media, “With the spread of the atmosphere of intimidation and extortion, the participation of citizens in the elections was low. The boycott came due to the threatening campaign waged by Belgrade and its criminal elements in the north. I thank the citizens for their courage and calmness. Congratulations to the presidents and councilors elected yesterday.” They must work with dedication and serve without discrimination.” made remarks.
The US embassy in the country also announced that the elections in four northern municipalities were conducted in accordance with the constitutional and legal provisions of Kosovo.
KQZ announced that 1,567 (3.47 percent) of the 45,095 registered voters in the district voted in the local by-elections.
Kosovo Serbs boycott local elections
The Serb List, the largest Serb party in Kosovo, did not participate in the local elections and called on Kosovo Serbs to “boycott the elections”.
Only Sladjana Pantović, an independent candidate for mayor of Zvecan, participated in the Kosovo Serb elections, and Pantović got 5 votes.
Kosovo President Fyuza Osmani stated that the local elections in the municipalities of North Mitrovica, Zubin Potok, Leposavic and Zvecan, which were scheduled to take place on 18 December 2022, following the withdrawal of Kosovo Serbs from central and local institutions in Kosovo, had been postponed to 23 April due to the risk of The security situation in the north of the country.
- Balkans | Bosnian Serb leader Dodik: We will divide Republika Srpska if you try to take our property from us
- Balkans | Alternativa decided to leave the government
- Balkans | Croatian footballer Jvardiol donated his signed jersey to the earthquake victims
- Balkans | Discount on fuel prices
- Balkans | The Cappadocia Balloons will be launched in Serbia
- Balkans | Maricek: It is important for citizens to know the facts about joining the EU
- Balkans | Kosovo’s economy is stabilizing
- Balkans | Kuna “OUT” EURO “IN” in Croatia
- Balkans | Serbia and Croatia want to strengthen mutual relations
- Balkans | An indictment has been drawn up against Jan Mitreff and his hospital