With the effect of the heat wave and strong winds in Greece, forest fires continue in different regions.
According to reports broadcast by Greek media, many people were transferred to safe areas while firefighting teams dealt with the forest fires that broke out yesterday.
In the regions of Loutraki, Anavisos and Saronida, where many homes were reduced to ashes as the fire spread through the settlements, the horses in the stables were transported to safe areas by trucks.
In the Dervenohoria region, about 40 kilometers from Athens, the response to the fire continued throughout the night.
Officials stated that the fire is constantly increasing due to the strong winds prevailing in the area.
In Dervenohoria, where thousands of acres of forest were reduced to ashes, it was said that the fire did not yet threaten the settlements.
Greek firefighting officials announced that they responded to the fire with a helicopter, 6 planes, 140 firefighters and 48 vehicles.
The Greek Meteorological Service also warned that the risk of fire remains high today.
Vassilis Kikilias, Minister of Climate Crisis and Civil Protection, stated that forest fires broke out in 81 different points yesterday.
Kikilyas announced that two people have been arrested in connection with the fires.
The European Union will send 4 firefighting aircraft to Greece
It was reported that the European Union decided to send 4 firefighting planes to Greece, as forest fires continue in the regions of Dervinohoria and Loutrai near the capital, Athens.
According to the news reflected in the Greek media, the European Union will send 4 firefighting aircraft from France and Italy to Greece within the framework of the civil protection mechanism.
The planes are expected to arrive in Greece today.
On the other hand, settlements in Agios Haralambos and Panorama around Loutraki have been evacuated as a precautionary measure.
He stated that 3 volunteers were slightly injured in a fire in Saronicos area.
The Greek Meteorological Service warned that the risk of fire remains high today.
- Balkans | Art for Hope fundraising campaign for earthquake victims in Kosovo
- Balkans | Breakfast was held in Bosnia and Herzegovina for those who helped earthquake victims in Türkiye
- Balkans | Adami, president of the Kosovo Football Federation, was arrested
- Balkans | Expedite the passage of arrivals through the border gates
- Balkans | KGO students visited the Constitutional Court
- Balkans | Ukrainian President Zelensky fires some intelligence executives
- Balkans | 600 thousand people left Bosnia and Herzegovina in 10 years
- Balkans | A Turkish soldier distributes halva in Kosovo
- Balkans | Hull City are interested in Macedonian national footballer Bardi
- Balkans | Helles: ‘If Dodek does what he says, it will be the end of RS’