Despite all efforts, most of the wildfires that have been going on for 3 days in many places in Greece cannot be controlled.
According to Greek media reports, the winds spread fires in the Loutraki and Megara regions near the capital, Athens, while at least 50,000 acres of forest and agricultural land, as well as many homes and vehicles, became unusable in the country. The fires of the region of Attica where Athens is located.
As a precautionary measure, some highways were closed to protect the oil refinery near Athens due to the fires for which some settlements were evacuated.
The Greek Meteorological Service warned that the risk of fire remains high today.
The heat wave is expected to reach its peak on Thursday and Friday.
Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis is expected to head to the National Civil Protection Operations and Crisis Management Coordination Center today to obtain information on the trajectory of the fires.
Vassilis Kikilias, Minister of Climate Crisis and Civil Protection, announced the arrest of two people in connection with the fires.
On the other hand, it was reported that the European Union decided to send 4 firefighting aircraft to Greece, where forest fires continue.
- Balkans | Turkish Education Day on December 21 was enthusiastically celebrated in Radović
- Balkans | About 100,000 euros were collected for the earthquake victims in the mosques of Prizren
- Balkans | The 15-74 age group is more likely to travel abroad in Bulgaria
- Balkans | The ballot numbers of the parties and coalitions that will participate in the Bulgarian elections have been announced
- Balkans | Message from the President of Serbia “preserving peace with Kosovo”: “We will continue to search for compromise solutions”
- Balkans | Greece left 40 migrants to their fate
- Balkans | Scandalous statements about Turkey in the report of the Kosovo Academy of Sciences
- Balkans | Macedonia, the most unhappy country in the Balkans
- Balkans | The unemployment rate in Bulgaria decreased by 4.2% in 2022
- Balkans | The European Union remains silent on Serbia’s opposition to Kosovo’s membership in the Council of Europe