Greece, in its call to EU countries, has asked for more financial assistance on migration.
Greek Minister of Citizen Protection Takis Theodorikakos met in Athens with the ambassadors of the European Union, Britain and Switzerland.
Requesting additional financial and logistical support from the European Union, the Greek minister expressed the view that Greece’s borders are also the external borders of the European Union.
The Greek minister demanded that member states bear the heavy burden arising from the fight against illegal immigration, saying: “The support of all member states is necessary to protect the common borders of the European Union. There must be solidarity and fair division of tasks among member states. Close coordination is essential.” Use the phrase.
Frontex will hire more workers in Greece
In providing information about the measures taken in combating illegal immigration, the Greek minister announced that the European Union’s External Border Protection Agency will employ 400 additional officers in Greece, 250 of whom will start working in February.
Frontex currently employs 1,800 employees to support border protection in Greece.
According to the information provided by Greece, Athens prevented nearly 260,000 migrants from illegally entering the borders of the European Union in 2022, while it arrested 1,500 human smugglers.
Greece has been the target of intense criticism from EU countries and NGOs on the grounds that it applies a “push back” to illegal migrants arriving from the sea in violation of international law.
The painted wire fence on the Turkish border has been extended
Greece says that these countries should provide more financial support to Athens, noting that illegal immigrants want to go to England, France and Germany.
Greece, which has built 27 kilometers of 5-meter-high wire mesh on its shared border with Turkey on the banks of the Meriç River, aims to extend this by 35 kilometers in the first place.
Ultimately, Athens would like to enclose the 192-kilometre common border with wire fencing.
- Balkans | Togo withdraws its decision to recognize Kosovo
- Balkans | Quiet around new checkpoints in northern Kosovo
- Balkans | The crew of an astronaut on the Chinese space station returns to Earth
- Balkans | The Badal Tunnel was opened to increase the convenience of transportation from Iran to Bulgaria
- Balkans | The finalists for this year’s NIN Award have been announced
- Balkans | The Croatian parliament refuses to train Ukrainian soldiers in the country
- Balkans | Turkey sells natural gas to Bulgaria
- Balkans | Former AYM President Murat met with President Erdogan
- Balkans | Minister of Energy and Natural Resources Dönmez met with Minister of Economy Bekteshi
- Balkans | The memory of Mehmet Akif Ersoy was commemorated with gratitude and glory in Kosovo