Eva Kaili, the last imprisoned Greek parliamentarian, has also been released in a European Parliament-related corruption investigation in Belgium.
According to the news based on Cayley’s lawyer in the Belgian press, the Belgian court that supervised the investigation decided to release the former Vice President of the European Parliament, Eva Cayley, and put her under house arrest.
In the information provided by the prosecutor’s office, it was reported that Kylie will remain under house arrest in electronic handcuffs.
Kayli, 44, a Greek MEP, has applied several times for his release since his December arrest, but has been denied. Kylie, who gave birth to a two-year-old girl, was the last arrested in the framework of the investigation, after the release of Belgian MP Marc Tarabella yesterday.
As part of the investigation by the Belgian authorities, searches were carried out at several points in December 2022, 1.5 million euros in cash were seized and 4 people were detained.
He announced that those arrested were the Greek MP Eva Kayli, who has been terminated as Vice-President of the European Parliament, former Italian MP Pierre Antonio Panziri, Kayli’s friend Francesco Giorgi, who worked as an assistant in the European Parliament, and Nicolo Vega Talamanca, director of the NGO working in the field of the rule of law. . Vega Talamanca was later released.
In his statement, Giorgi allegedly said that two MEPs, Andrea Cozzolino and Mark Tarabella, had received money from Panziri. European Parliament President Roberta Metsola has started the process of boosting the immunity of Cozzolino and Tarabella. Cozzolino and Tarabella, whose immunity was lifted on February 2, were arrested a week later.
It was alleged that these people took bribes from a Gulf state to influence economic and political decisions in the European Parliament. Qatar, which was reported in the news on the matter, denied these allegations.
In some news it was alleged that Morocco had bribed these people, and Moroccan intelligence and Morocco’s ambassador to Warsaw, Abd al-Rahim Atmon, were alleged to have met the suspects.
- Balkans | Osmani: The destabilization of Türkiye also destabilizes Europe and the East
- Balkans | “Turkey is one of the largest investors in the country”
- Balkans | Ilhan Kucuk hosted a group of visitors from Bulgaria at the European Parliament
- Balkans | World leaders conveyed to President Erdogan their wishes for a “speedy recovery”
- Balkans | Serbian President Vucic met with the Special Representative of the European Union for the Belgrade-Pristina Dialogue
- Balkans | Financial assistance from Kumanova and Kavadarci municipalities for earthquake victims in Turkey and Syria
- Balkans | Turkish athletes from Bosnia and Herzegovina returned with six medals
- NATO Secretary General Stoltenberg arrives in Turkey
- Balkans | n. The Macedonian Honorary Consulate was opened in Edirne
- Balkans | Albanian-Turkish Chamber of Commerce and Industry meeting in Tirana