It has been decided to remove the electronic handcuffs of Greek MP Eva Kaili, the most famous face in the European Parliament-related corruption investigation conducted in Belgium, and to release him in full.
The arrest of Kylie, who had been held in prison for almost 4 months and was released on parole in April, is over, said the statement made by the Brussels Public Prosecutor’s Office.
The statement stated that Kylie’s electronic restrictions were lifted.
Kylie, who was arrested and jailed in December for investigating corruption, bribery and money laundering, left prison on April 14 and headed home near the AP.
Eva Cayley, the former deputy head of the Associated Press who was arrested in the AP investigation, was the latest detainee released as part of the investigation.
The Belgian authorities, who are conducting the investigation, accuse some members of the European Parliament and employees of using their influence in exchange for bribes to influence economic and political decision-making in the European Parliament on behalf of other countries. Qatar and Morocco, named in the accusations, deny the allegations.
In addition to Cayley, Cayley’s friend, AP worker Francesco Giorgi, former Italian MEP Pier Antonio Panzeri, and Niccolò Vega Talamanca, director of the NGO working on rule of law issues, were arrested in December as part of the investigation.
During searches of some homes, 1.5 million euros in cash were seized.
After Panziri’s confessions, the Belgian authorities expanded the investigation to include the Belgian MP for the European Parliament, Marc Tarabella, and the Italian MP, Andrea Cozzolino, and lifted the immunity of two MPs. Tarabella was arrested in Belgium, and Cozzolino in Italy.
All detainees and those arrested during the investigation were released and placed under house arrest with electronic handcuffs. Cozzolino was also under house arrest in Naples.
- Balkans | Iftar for religious Muslims, Christians and Jews from Zagreb ambassador Kiran
- Balkans | Only 169 Bulgarian citizens from North Macedonia submitted their votes in the elections
- Balkans | Kosovo soldiers continue search and rescue efforts
- A famous physicist who changed world history by inventing the atomic bomb
- Balkans | The electronic declaration process for those who will vote in Turkey in the Bulgarian elections ends on March 7
- Balkans | Two of the M-346s that Greece bought from Israel have arrived in the country
- Balkans | Medipol Belgrade representative office opened
- Balkans | The Kapljina Islamic Cultural Center in Bosnia and Herzegovina, built with the support of TIKA, is inaugurated
- Balkans | Karjali municipality sent a truck loaded with relief materials to Syria
- Balkans | Riza Kayalıp will try to catch up with Karelin at the European Championships in Croatia