Factories in Pakistan, one of the world’s leading tent manufacturers, aim to produce 100,000 tents for Turkey by the end of the month due to the earthquake that hit Kahramanmaraş on February 6.
After the visit of Prime Minister Shahbaz Sharif to Turkey, on February 19, after ordering 100,000 tents to be prepared for Turkey, many factories are working overtime to raise this amount.
Factories have settled around the town of Kasur, an hour from Lahore, and the tents they produce here have been sent all over the world.
Punjab province alone provides a large portion of the country’s cotton production. Since cotton is the primary raw material in the production of tent fabric and canvas, the companies are located near Lahore, the state capital.
Supplying tents for international organizations
According to data from the Pakistan Credit Rating Agency (PACRA), Pakistan has the capacity to produce 100 million square meters of tent canvas. While 60 percent of this canvas is exported, the remaining 40 percent is used within the country.
Pakistan ; It provides relief items such as tents, canvas, tarpaulins, blankets, and mosquito nets to organizations such as UNHCR, WHO, WFP, and international organizations. Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
The country to which Pakistan exports the most tents, canvas and tarpaulins in 2020 is Saudi Arabia with 22 percent, followed by Turkey with 14 percent, the United Arab Emirates with 8 percent, and the United States with 5 percent, respectively.
The demand for tents and similar aid items changes according to natural disasters, regional conflicts and health crises.
Pakistan, which earned $98.4 million from its exports of tents, canvas and tarpaulins in 2020, has increased its exports to $110.3 million in 2021.
The monthly production capacity is 200 thousand
The AA reporter looked at tent production facilities around Qusour and met with suppliers there.
There are 101 tent production factories across the country, 48 of which are in Punjab, Usman Raisol Butt, Chairman of Pakistan Tents and Canvas Producers and Exporters Association (PCTMEA) stated, “We have stopped all orders from abroad, and we are working on sending tents to Turkey in full.” . He said.
Recalling that Prime Minister Sharif held a meeting with tent companies after his visit to Turkey, Butt said, “Pakistan is at the forefront of tent production in the world. We can produce up to 200,000 tents per month. No other country has such a large capacity.” Use the phrase.
Pointing out that all the basic raw materials in tent production are available in Pakistan, Butt said that they were able to introduce the tents to the market quickly and at an affordable price.
Punjab province produces more than 60 percent of the country’s cotton, Butt mentioned, adding that it processes cotton quickly, does not import anything and therefore can produce at reasonable prices.
“All production is done for Turkey”
Ahmed Osman Butt, senior manager of UTS, one of the tent companies, stated that the production of winter tents takes longer, which is why the daily production of 500 tents in other tents has decreased to 200 winter tents.
Bot confirmed that they dedicate all their production to Turkey after the earthquakes that hit Kahramanmaraş, and said: “We are doing our best for the sake of our Turkish brothers.” He said.
- One of the most mysterious events in aviation history: Flight 19
- Historic buildings destroyed after the earthquake disaster
- Balkans | The President of Kosovo receives the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Slovenia
- Balkans | Children from Skopje donating money boxes to their siblings in Turkey
- Balkans | The book “The Macedonian Turks: Education, Culture and Community Life 1912-1990” was published.
- Balkans | Turkey was represented with national participation in the Food and Beverage Fair in Greece
- Balkans | Greece and Montenegro teams participating in search and rescue efforts in Turkey have returned to their countries
- Balkans | Turkish handball player Iray Karakoc moved to Ohrid
- Balkans | Kovachevsky: I told the Minister of Health that this is unacceptable
- The mysterious alien sect where 39 members commit suicide: Heaven’s Gate