Bulgarian demonstrators protested against the European Union’s interference in the internal affairs of the Eastern European country by throwing red paint at the door of the European Union’s Liaison Office in Sofia on Sunday.
A “peace march” was held in several cities of my country with a demand for Bulgaria to maintain its neutrality in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia. In Sofia, people gathered in front of the National Palace of Culture. Participants walked along Vitosha Boulevard, past the Presidency and the National Assembly. While organizing the event, the Vazrazdan (Resurrection) party shared a video of a large crowd throwing paint-filled balloons onto the outside of the EU Delegation. According to the Bulgarian news agency BTA, there was a police presence and traffic jams for half an hour on a street in central Sofia.
The demonstrators expressed their views by holding banners and chanting slogans. The protests also included speakers who expressed their fears of the dangers of Bulgaria’s accession to NATO. Protesters: We want peace! and “NATO, OUT!” They chanted slogans and expressed their desire to hold a referendum, which they believed would lead to Bulgaria’s exit from NATO.
- Balkans | Greece strengthens border security against the wave of refugees
- Balkans | Poll: What percentage of Serbs are willing to fight for Kosovo?
- Balkans | The first stage of Kosovo’s application for membership in the Council of Europe has been completed
- Balkans | “Why is the admission of Bulgaria and Romania to Schengen not among the priorities of the Swedish presidency?” ￼
- Balkans | Ambassador of Tirana Atay evaluated the centenary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Turkey and Albania
- Balkans | This year’s Oscars will be the stage for the first
- Balkans | Bomb threat to 15 schools in Skopje
- Balkans | Turkish fencers win two more medals in Serbia
- Balkans | The first necropolis of Athens hosts the works of famous sculptors
- Balkans | Kosovo submits its application for membership in the European Union