According to the study, more than 61,000 deaths due to hot weather were recorded in Europe in the summer of 2022, when it witnessed record temperatures caused by the climate crisis.
According to Guardian news, a group of international public health experts have prepared research using data from the European Statistical Office (Eurostat).
In the study, hot weather death data from Eurostat recorded in 35 countries in Europe between May 30 and September 4, 2022, was examined.
He stated that the number of deaths increased in southern Europe, where abnormally high temperatures are observed, much warmer than in the north, and during hot summer days.
And the study stated that the average temperatures in Europe in the summer of 2022 exceeded the measurements of the past thirty years, and 11 thousand and 637 people died in the period from July 18 to July 24, when only the most severe temperatures were.
It was recorded that 61,672 people lost their lives due to heat-related causes in Europe between May 30 and September 4, 2022, and most deaths were witnessed in Italy, Greece, Spain and Portugal.
He stated that only a small part of the deaths were caused by heatstroke, mostly because the hot weather caused the deaths by preventing the body from dealing with existing health problems such as heart and lung diseases.
Scientists are concerned that temperatures will continue to be recorded
Experts confirmed that temperatures have risen by 1.1 degrees worldwide due to global warming, and have expressed fears that this increase will continue.
The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) announced on July 10 that sea surface temperatures reached record levels in May, June and July, and that temperature records in recent months will increase further as El Niño weather conditions take effect.
- Balkans | Beginning of the removal of roadblocks in northern Kosovo
- Balkans | Meteors fell over Bulgaria, in Romania
- Balkans | Global food prices fell in December
- Balkans | Announce the date of the elections in Greece
- Balkans | The “Most Successful Foreign Investment in Bosnia and Herzegovina” award was awarded to Ziraat Bank
- Balkans | The reaction of the Islamic world to the burning of the Noble Qur’an in Sweden
- Balkans | Firefighting planes sent from Türkiye have arrived in Greece
- Balkans | Romeliciad visited the Serbian city of Novi Pazar
- Balkans | Boat disaster in Greece: a migrant boat sank while being pulled by a rope
- Balkans | Farewell to the first pilgrim caravan from North Macedonia