The accused, Onal Güneş, who was on trial for coming to Istanbul to take action after receiving training in the PKK terrorist organization camps in Greece and Iraq, was sentenced to 6 years and 3 months in prison for “belonging to an armed terrorist organization.”
The 22nd Criminal Court of Istanbul has completed writing the reasoned decision on the case file against Güneş.
The decision stated that intelligence information was obtained according to which accused Göneş, who had contacts with people operating in Turkey and Greece on behalf of the PKK / KCK terrorist organization, illegally crossed into Greece from Edirne in October 2021, and went to Iraq to receive training in the organization.
The decision stated that the accused carried out activities for 8 months in the organization he joined, and it was recorded that Güneş stayed in separate rooms in a hotel in Erzurum with a person named E.
The decision stated that the accused’s mobile phone was found containing the song “Le Merdine bagoke” that was written for members of the terrorist organization that was neutralized in the Mardin countryside in 1988 and contains propaganda for the organization, and it was confirmed that the accused is included in the hierarchical structure of the terrorist organization PKK / KCK and this is supported by witness statements.
In the decision, where the accused reportedly used more than one symbolic name, received ideological training, and joined the organization knowingly and willingly, Suat B, who joined the rural cadre of the terrorist organization across France in 2021 and surrendered as a result of persuasion activities, made statements about the accused Gunesh that he is in the organization.
It was mentioned in the decision that although the accused wanted to benefit from the provisions of effective remorse, he did not accept the procedures of the organization in his defenses and declared that he was not a member of the organization, and therefore it was noted that the provisions of effective remorse could not be applied.
The court, which decided to sentence the accused to 7 years and 6 months in prison for “belonging to an armed terrorist organization,” reduced the sentence to 6 years and 3 months, taking into account his behavior during the trial. In the decision, it was decided to continue the detention of the accused.
from the indictment
In the indictment prepared by the Istanbul Public Prosecutor’s Office, it was explained that the accused Güneş joined the organization in 2014 to work in rural areas, came to Istanbul to take action, and was arrested in 2022.
In the decision, where the accused was reportedly unable to provide an objective defense about what he did during the six-month period he spent in Greece, the accused, who was educated in that country, was reportedly given a long-barreled AK-47 rifle, 4 magazines and 120 rounds of ammunition by members of the other organization during his graduation.
The indictment called for Güneş to be sentenced to between 7.5 and 15 years in prison for “belonging to an armed terrorist organization”.
- Balkans | Serbian leader Dodik says Bosnia-Herzegovina’s Republika Srpska will become a ‘state’
- Balkans | Konakovich, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bosnia and Herzegovina, met Blinken
- Balkans | Argentina became the first finalists in the World Cup, beating Croatia 3-0
- Balkans | Vucic sends the Chief of the General Staff to the border
- Balkans | Dejan Lovren leaves the Croatian national team
- Journals published in Turkish will be presented in Bulgaria and in Bulgarian in Serbia
- Balkans | Albania moved to tighten sanctions against Russia
- Balkans | Prayers were held in mosques across the country as part of Bosnia and Herzegovina’s “July 15th Day of Democracy and National Unity”.
- Balkans | The Netherlands will send 160 soldiers to the peacekeeping mission in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Balkans | Rescue of 56 illegal immigrants expelled from Greece