The barriers in the village of Rudari in the northern Kosovo city of Zvecan have not been lifted yet, although it was reported that they were lifted yesterday.
The barriers erected in response to the arrest of former Serbian police officer Dejan Pantik have not yet been lifted, despite the change of the arrest warrant to house arrest and the calls of Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic to lift it.
The barrier of 14 vehicles, including trucks, tankers and buses, still cuts off the Mitrovica – Leposavik road in the village of Rudari.
Those behind the barricades hold their positions.
And in recent days, dozens of masked Kosovo Serbs have been guarding the barricades day and night.
The tents behind the barricades were also evacuated today.
While three vehicles of NATO’s Kosovo Peace Force (KFOR) stand guard in front of the barricades, many media outlets in the region await the removal of the barricades.
On the other hand, it was reported in a written statement from the Kosovo Police, that the Merdar border gate between the two countries was opened to traffic after the barriers erected by Serbia were removed. Barricades were erected on Serbian soil on 27 December.
Tensions between Kosovo and Serbia
Tensions between Kosovo and Serbia escalate after the arrest of former Serbian police officer Dejan Pantec.
In response to Bantik’s detention, Kosovo Serbs have been manning the barricades they have set up at the Yarenje and Brinjak border crossings since 10 December.
The European Union, NATO and the United States of America called for a de-escalation of tension and the removal of roadblocks in northern Kosovo. Serbia has asked the NATO peacekeeping force in Kosovo (KFOR) to deploy Serbian army and police in northern Kosovo.
Serbia considers Kosovo, which unilaterally declared its independence in 2008, to be its territory.
Serbia and Kosovo, which clash periodically, are trying to find a common way to normalize relations, and eventually the two countries get to know each other, within the scope of the Belgrade-Pristina dialogue process initiated in 2011 with the mediation of the European Union.
- Balkans | Turkish athletes completed the Bulgarian Open Taekwondo Championship with ten medals
- Balkans | Culture, language and history talk at the centenary of diplomatic relations between Turkey and Albania, held in Tirana
- Balkans | Greece’s position on the boat accident carrying illegal immigrants is under scrutiny
- Balkans | The United Nations “warned” of Greece increasing pushbacks
- Balkans | Expect rain and snow over the weekend
- Balkans | The campaign “We are with Turkey to help” was launched in North Macedonia
- Balkans | Hungary supports Bosnia and Herzegovina’s membership in the European Union
- Balkans | Medical students in Albania stage an anti-government protest
- Balkans | The play “A Beautiful Day in the Park” is being staged in Prizren
- Balkans | Mirza Varisanovic takes command of Sarajevo