While the roadblocks erected by Serbs living in northern Kosovo on the roads to the border gates of Jarenci and Brinjak with Serbia were not removed on 10 December, the situation in the region remains calm.
While many citizens come to Rudare village in Zveçan with their cars, as there are some barriers, they have to turn back because they cannot go to Jarinje border gate. The distance between the barriers placed here and the Jarinje border gate is about 30 kilometers.
While the situation remains calm in the region, NATO’s Kosovo Force (KFOR) and the European Union’s Rule of Law Mission (EULEX) continue to conduct patrols.
In the statement made by the EU mission, it was emphasized that, with its increased presence in the field, it is closely monitoring the security situation in northern Kosovo.
“In view of the volatile security situation in northern Kosovo and the erection of additional barriers, EULEX has regularly adjusted its position,” the statement said. and adapt it to reflect the situation on the ground and in cooperation with the Kosovo Police and the Kosovo Force.” It has been said.
The tension between Serbia and Kosovo, which had been going on for a while, took on a new dimension with the barricades set up by Kosovo Serbs at the border crossings on December 10, in reaction to the detention of former Serbian police officer Dejan Pantec.
Pantik, who had a one-month detention order, was being held as a suspect in the attacks organized by a masked group against the offices of the Central Election Commission and Kosovo police officers during the preparation for early local elections in 4 Serb-majority municipalities in northern Kosovo.
While high-ranking officials in Kosovo and representatives of Western countries called for the removal of barriers in the north of the country to ensure freedom of movement, calls in this direction have not yet been answered.
In other news, today Kosovo Serbs are organizing a protest in the north of the country.
- Balkans | Ziraat, Bosnia and Herzegovina’s first foreign bank, has been operating in the country for the past 26 years.
- Balkans | The project, which will greatly contribute to the peasantry, was inaugurated in Mamusa.
- Balkans | The Kosovo Police conducted an operation in North Mitrovica, sirens sounded
- Balkans | Supporters of the PKK terrorist organization have turned Paris into a battlefield
- Balkans | NATO increases its presence in the region as tensions rise in Kosovo
- Balkans | More than half of families in Kosovo cannot afford a vacation
- Balkans | Another provocation in Srebrenica
- Balkans | Greek Minister Dendias will attend the religious ceremony in Istanbul
- Balkans | A bomb threat was reported in 15 schools across the country.
- Balkans | Borrell calls for a solution for Serbia and Kosovo