The EU Commission is considering making bulk purchases, as in the case of Covid-19 vaccines, in order to overcome shortages of medicines such as antibiotics in some EU countries.
Stella Kyriakides, Member of the European Union Commission in charge of Health, spoke at the session on “Increase in respiratory infections and shortages of medicines in Europe” held at the General Assembly of the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France.
Pointing out that there are problems with the availability of antibiotics, children’s analgesics and antipyretic drugs in some EU countries, Kyriakides said that this is a global problem and they are in contact with the pharmaceutical industry.
Kyriakides said the main causes of the problem are the rapid increase in demand due to an increase in respiratory infections, as well as insufficient production capacity.
Expressing that they are working to overcome the problem in cooperation with member states and drug manufacturers, Kyriakides stated that “if necessary, they can carry out joint wholesale purchases on behalf of member states, as is the case in the Covid-19 pandemic.”
Kyriakides also stated that they will try to overcome the drug supply problem through legislative amendments and new legislation.
The EU Commission has procured large quantities of vaccines and medicines in the Covid-19 pandemic and has ensured their delivery to Member States.
In Europe, where the impact of Covid-19 has decreased, the serious increase in influenza and derived respiratory diseases is creating a serious burden on the health sector. In some European countries, there are difficulties in obtaining medicines such as antibiotics, painkillers and corticosteroids.
In addition to influenza and similar upper respiratory illnesses in many countries in Europe, a respiratory virus called “RSV” causes severe illness in adults, especially children.
- Balkans | Understanding Russian Geopolitics and the Ukrainian War by Alexander Dugin
- Balkans | n. The number of judges in the Macedonian Constitutional Court decreased to 6
- Balkans | MSB: The Border Eagles have captured 7 more people who were trying to flee to Greece
- Balkans | Heavy rains cause floods in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Balkans | Austria is pressuring Bulgaria to receive two billion euros to protect its borders with Turkey
- Balkans | Greek MP Kyli, who is being held in Belgium on corruption charges, has appeared in court
- Balkans | The deadline for the second announcement of the Skopje Metropolitan Municipality on transportation ends.
- From ancient sewers to the first flush: toilet culture and history
- Balkans | Serbia asks the Kosovo Force to send troops to Kosovo
- Balkans | Minister of Energy and Natural Resources Dönmez met with Minister of Economy Bekteshi