The “peace march”, which is traditionally organized on the road used by Bosnian civilians, who wanted to get rid of the 1995 genocide in Srebrenica, eastern Bosnia and Herzegovina, began to reach the safe zone Tuzla, through the forest road.
As part of the commemoration of the 28th anniversary of the genocide, in which at least 8,372 Bosnian civilians were brutally murdered by Serb forces, more than 3,000 people, who participated in the 19th march this year, left the town of Nzok.
17-year-old Neval Koković, who participated in the rally, told Anadolu Agency (AA) that he participated last year as well and that the genocide should not be forgotten and should not be forgotten.
Ines Rosa, who came from the city of Ticang, said that she participated in the march for the fourth time and said, “It was said what people went through at that time along the way. It cannot be explained in words. As you go further, you also see mass graves. But the hardest thing is to welcome Mothers who have lost their children and loved ones. He said.
Enwar Megalo, who has participated in the march for 19 years, said that when he first joined the march in 2005, everyone cried. He said.
Elvir Duraković, who attended the event with her 12-year-old daughter, stated that she is from Srebrenica and said: “I was seven years old during the war and managed to reach the safe zone with my mother. My father and uncles were killed.” He said.
His daughter Mirisa Durakovic also said that she first marched at the age of seven, “Walking is not hard. I am walking to commemorate the victims of the Holocaust.” Use the phrase.
He stated that this year also, many countries, including Turkey, participated in the rally.
Participants will walk 100 km for 3 days
Participants will walk approximately 100 kilometers within the range of the 3-day walk on the jungle path, which is also known as the “road of death” among the people.
The Peace Walk will end when the participants arrive at the Potocari Memorial Cemetery on July 10.
On the first day of the walk, the participants will reach the Liplje camp first after a 30-kilometre route. While the Bosnian civilians who survived the genocide will share their experiences with the participants who will remain in the camp, on the second day of the walk, the participants will reach Mravengci through the Kamenica area, where there are many mass graves.
Participants will travel 35 kilometers to reach Mravingse where they will stay the second night.
On the third and final day of the march, the participants would depart from Mravengci and arrive at Kameneko Brdo, where nearly 1,000 Bosnians were killed.
Participants who will continue on Polgem will continue the route by coming to the Potocari Memorial Cemetery where the victims of the genocide are buried in the evening.
30 victims of the genocide will be buried at this year’s festivities
And at the memorial and funeral ceremonies that will take place on July 11 this year, another 30 victims of the genocide will be buried.
After the occupation of Srebrenica by Serb forces led by Ratko Mladić on 11 July 1995, Bosniak civilians who had taken refuge with Dutch soldiers inside the UN were handed over to the Serbs.
Allowing women and children access to the area controlled by Bosniak soldiers, the Serbs massacred no fewer than 8,372 Bosniak men in forest areas, factories, and warehouses. The Bosnian dead were buried in mass graves.
After the war, the victims whose bodies were found were buried in mass graves in an effort to find the missing in a ceremony held at the Potocari Memorial Cemetery on 11 July each year after their identification.
While there are 6,721 graves of genocide victims at Potocari Memorial Cemetery, that number will rise to 6,751 on July 11.
- Balkans | Bulgaria and Saudi Arabia sign an agreement to encourage investment
- Balkans | Directed by Peleshi’s Bayraktar: ‘I hope we don’t have to use it’
- Balkans | Türkiye wins its first acrobatic gymnastics medal in Bulgaria
- Balkans | Bosnia and Herzegovina Defense Minister Hills said that the world needs a stable Türkiye
- Balkans | NATO sends additional forces to Kosovo
- Balkans | Second ammonia leak in a month in Serbia
- Balkans | Greece Forest Fire: I’m excited to see the fires
- Balkans | 4.8 magnitude earthquake in Greece
- Balkans | A message of friendship from Erdogan to Greece
- Balkans | Vucic withdraws on May 27th