The national anthem “Herzegovina – Bosnia”, sung by the national soccer players in Croatia, which left Argentina in the 2022 World Cup yesterday evening, sparked a reaction in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The anthem sung by Croatian soccer players after Brazil’s victory in the quarter-finals added a new song to the scandals of the 2022 World Cup. The national anthem that glorifies the so-called Croatian Republic of Herzegovina and Bosnia, which was founded in November 1991 with the support of Croatia and was responsible for the detention of many Bosnian Muslims in concentration camps. Rape, torture and massacres sparked reactions and discussions on social media.
“Herzegovina-Bosnia” is commemorated along with other regions of Croatia such as Slavonia, Dalmatia and Istra in the anthem, which is associated with the far-right Ustase movement that committed massacres against Serbs and Roma during World War II and against Bosnian Muslims during the war in the 1990s.
With the advent of the so-called Republic of Herzegovina and Croatian Bosnia, which emerged as a parallel state structure during the war and called for secession from Bosnia and Herzegovina and union with Croatia, and the establishment of the Croatian Defense Council (HVO), there was a serious relationship between Croats and Muslims in the central region of Bosnia and Herzegovina, and conflicts erupted. The structure, which was pursuing an anti-Muslim policy, committed various war crimes against the non-Croat population until it was officially abolished with the signing of the Dayton Peace Agreement, and preventing humanitarian aid from the West from reaching the areas it controlled. Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Balkans | The reaction of the Turks of Western Thrace to the football stadium project continues in the historic Turkish cemetery
- Balkan Time | The former president of the American Association of Young Men, Murad, has assessed potential constitutional changes in the country.
- Balkans | Kosovo begins its long-awaited adventure to run for the European Union
- Balkans | Celebrating the 21st anniversary of Köprü magazine
- Balkans | The “Most Successful Foreign Investment in Bosnia and Herzegovina” award was awarded to Ziraat Bank
- 10 inventions and innovations in the ancient Greek civilization
- Balkans | The Bulgarian authorities have accepted the request to extradite Goktas, one of the perpetrators of the Hablimtoglu assassination, to Turkey.
- Balkans | The leader of the Serbs of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cvijanović, received the Turkish ambassador to Sarajevo
- Balkans | The book “Turkish-Islamic Genocide in the Balkans” was published
- Balkans | Albanian Prime Minister Rama meets Albanian leaders in North Macedonia