US Deputy Secretary of State Gabriel Escobar and EU Special Envoy for the Belgrade-Pristina Dialogue Miroslav Lajcak met at NATO headquarters, hosted by NATO Deputy Secretary General Mircea Geoana. The meeting discussed the tension between Kosovo and Serbia.
The United States and the European Union met at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. The meeting was hosted by NATO Deputy Secretary General Mircea Geoana, and US Deputy Secretary of State Gabriel Escobar and EU Special Representative for the Belgrade-Pristina Dialogue Miroslav Lajcak attended the meeting.
The statement made by NATO after the meeting, which was closed to the press, said that the meeting discussed recent developments in Kosovo and the western Balkan countries, and the intensified efforts of NATO allies and the European Union to mitigate the crisis. Recent tensions are underlined, particularly in northern Kosovo.
The statement highlighted the key support provided by NATO’s Kosovo Peacekeeping Force (KFOR) and the EU Rule of Law Mission in Kosovo (EULEX) which helped restore full freedom of movement across Kosovo and successfully removed roadblocks.
“KFOR continues to be aware”
Highlighting the UN’s role, the statement said, “KFOR remains vigilant and has the capacity and staff to continue to implement the UN mandate fully and on a daily basis for the benefit of all communities living in Kosovo. This contributes to security in Kosovo and stability throughout the region.” It continues. NATO also supported the EU-facilitated dialogue between Belgrade and Pristina, as the main platform for building lasting peace and security across the region, and all efforts aimed at strengthening the European and Euro-Atlantic integration of the Western Balkans.
- Balkans | In Bosnia and Herzegovina, 96,876 people have lost their nationality in the past 27 years.
- Turkey’s most mysterious serial murder case: the leg amputation murders
- Balkans | Bulgaria and Greece are conducting joint air exercises
- Balkans | Erdogan’s next target resonates in Greece
- Balkans | The European Union is working with Kosovo and Serbia to implement the Ohrid Agreement
- Balkans | Understanding Russian Geopolitics and the Ukrainian War by Alexander Dugin
- Balkans | “Türkiye Days” event held in Croatia
- Balkans | New engine discount
- Balkans | KGO students visited the Constitutional Court
- Balkans | The Cappadocia Balloons will be launched in Serbia