A centuries-old staple of Ramadan tables in Prizren, where Kosovo Turks live heavily, pitayka with eggs is a must-have for iftar tables this year, too.
These pies, which are difficult to make in electric ovens at home, are only baked in stone ovens in the neighbourhoods. Citizens who wish to prepare this bread for the breakfast tables in the evening, take the mortar they have prepared at home into the oven from the early hours of the morning and stand in line.
Citizens who go to the bakery near breakfast in the evening are waiting for pitayka with eggs to be cooked in the stone oven. Bakeries are full of citizens. The substance is poured onto the dough, which is then rolled out by the baker himself, baked in 15 minutes.
Citizens who have come to buy their own “pitaika eggs”, say that Ramadan is better in Prizren than in other cities. Pitayka with eggs, which consists of ingredients such as eggs, butter, curd cheese and dill, is only made during Ramadan.
- Balkans | The goal of the MRF party in Bulgaria is coalition partnership
- Balkans | n. Macedonian Parliament approves a cabinet reshuffle
- Balkans | Foggy weather adversely affects air and ground transportation in Skopje
- Balkans | Borrell: Kosovo and Serbia reach an agreement on missing persons
- Balkans | Germany calls for dialogue between Serbia and Kosovo
- Balkans | The crew of an astronaut on the Chinese space station returns to Earth
- Balkans | The Brinjak and Jarinje border crossings in northern Kosovo are open to traffic
- Balkans | The Serbian list calls for a “boycott of the local elections in northern Kosovo”
- Balkans | The result of Real Madrid’s match with Partizan in the European League has been recorded
- Balkans | Aid for earthquake victims in Turkey from the “Sidi Bey” mosque community in Kosovo