Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic announced that barriers would be removed in northern Kosovo with the establishment of a Serb-dominated Federation of Municipalities in Kosovo.
Speaking to the media during his visit to Azerbaijan, Vucic said, “First, we will create the Federation of Serbian Municipalities, and then we will remove the barriers in northern Kosovo.”
In order to create the Federation of Serbian Municipalities, Kosovo and Serbia have reached two agreements within the framework of the dialogue on normalization, mediated by the European Union.
Kosovo officials argued that creating such a federation would be detrimental to Kosovo.
According to Vucic, Kosovo does not want to listen, but only wants to humiliate Serbia.
Stressing that the behavior of KFOR, NATO’s mission in Kosovo, is more just than that of most Western governments, Vucic said, “KFOR takes the situation very seriously and responsibly.”
In a statement from Kosovo regarding the arrest of former Kosovo Serb police officer Dejan Pantic, Vucic added that Belgrade did not know the reason for the arrest.
Kosovo officials said Pantik, who was arrested on December 10, is suspected of organizing a “terrorist attack” on the offices of the Central Election Commission on December 6.
Because of Bantik’s detention, some local Serbs have set up barricades in northern Kosovo, blocking roads to the Yarenci and Brinjak border crossings, which connect Kosovo and Serbia.
On the other hand, KFOR announced that it has strengthened its presence in Järenje due to the possible presence of “organized criminal groups”.
Kosovo officials said it had the capacity to remove the barricades, but it gave KFOR time to remove the barricades peacefully.
- Balkans | Turkish minority organizations in Western Thrace condemn the burning of the Holy Quran in Sweden
- Balkans | The process of forming a multi-party coalition in Bulgaria has come to a standstill
- Balkans | Schmidt: Mladic and Karadz are war criminals, not heroes
- Balkans | The Kosovo Force increases its presence in northern Kosovo
- Balkans | Floods cause property damage in Kosovo
- 6 interesting gifts that countries give each other
- Balkans | Purposeful visit to Teka from Bosnia
- Balkans | Playing for Trabzonspor, Macedonian footballer Enes Bardi believes they will succeed.
- Balkans | Political consultations between Turkey and Albania are held in Albania
- Balkan Time | The target in bilateral trade volume between Turkey and Bulgaria is 10 billion euros