In Belgium, in an investigation into corruption and money laundering conducted in connection with the European Parliament, a suspect who was previously pursued with electronic handcuffs is arrested again.
In the statement made by the Belgian Federal Prosecutor’s Office, it was reported that the previous decision regarding Niccolò Vega Talamanca, director of the NGO “No Peace Without Justice”, submitted to the court today, has been changed by Brussels. Appellate court.
In the statement, the statement stated that Talamanca was transferred to the protective custody process and that the court extended the period, and that Talamanca will be returned to prison after this decision.
It was announced that the hearing for the former Italian deputy of the Associated Press, Pier Antonio Panziri, who appeared before the judge again with Talamanca, has been postponed to January 17 at Panziri’s request.
In the investigations of corruption, bribery and money laundering conducted by the Belgian authorities, inspections were carried out at many points, 1.5 million euros in cash were seized and 4 persons were detained.
Those arrested are Greek MP Eva Kayli whose position as deputy speaker of parliament has been terminated, former Italian MP Pier Antonio Panzieri, Kayli’s partner and European Parliament aide Francesco Giorgi, and Niccolo Vega, director of an NGO working on rule of law issues. It was announced that in Talaman. Kylie and Georgie are also still in jail.
These people were alleged to have taken bribes from Morocco and a Gulf state to influence economic and political decisions in the European Parliament. Qatar, which was reported in the news on the matter, denied these allegations.
- Balkans | Kosovo did not allow the Patriarch of the Serbian Orthodox Church to enter the country
- Balkans | Kamali, a sociologist working in Sweden, pointed out that the burning of the Noble Qur’an is a racist act.
- Balkans | Bulgaria has paid more than 740,000 levs in damages due to the rulings of the European Court of Human Rights in 2021
- Balkans | EU leaders agree to grant candidate status to Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Balkans | Hungary and Austria will not send weapons to Ukraine
- Balkans | Public transportation is free in Skopje due to the polluted weather
- Balkans | This is how 2022 passed in the world
- Balkans | Adding new names to the eavesdropping scandal in Greece
- Balkan Time | The target in bilateral trade volume between Turkey and Bulgaria is 10 billion euros
- Balkans | 12 people died due to a blizzard in the United States